Jul 22, 2010

About Kalki

Greeitngs friends!

My name is Kalki Subramaniam. I am the founder of ‘Sahodari Foundation’ an organization working for the social and economic empowerment of transgender persons.I am transgender rights activist, and a transsexual woman myself. I hold two Master’s degrees - first one in Journalism and Mass Communication and the second in International Relations.

In December 2010, I won a scholarship from a Goa based organisation called 'Women Aloud'. I attended a two weeks program called WAVE (Women Empowerment Through Video Blogging). After the completion of my training, I was provided with a camera to make documentary film every month on community issues. Since then I have been working on that and have produced 5 small documentary films.  The camera, which is a Canon Legria FS 200, a small handycam, has been a great tool for my advocacy work.

In April 2010, I had the idea to use the camera to its full potential and beyond and went a a step ahead. I wanted to share my knowledge with my transgender community. This was exciting to me and 'Project Kalki' was born. I named the project as 'Project Kalki' because it a dream project for me.

This project will transform them as documentary film makers. It is a great achievement for each one of them. All the interested and talented girls will be further trained in multimedia and will be placed in jobs when they can use their creative potential to the maximum. The idea is to provide them livelihood through training in multimedia skills.

 Many of them never imagined they can make their own documentary films.I am extremely happy that I am providing this opportunity to my friends. It gives me bliss to see their happiness when they work on their films. with extreme dedication.

KALKI

1 comment:

  1. Dear Kalki, I find your work amazing. It is a very good start for the developing of your ideas. A camera, a storyline, some artistic elements and the social context of the transgender community in India and around the world, as a minority group that has been undignified, misunderstood and repressed throughout history. They deserve a normal live like everyone else.
    I can offer you my support as an artist, advisor, and technician. I see a lot of potential in your Foundation. I was in Tamil Nadu on 1993 and since then I'm Tamil in my heart. my guru is Sri Ramana Maharshi from Tiruvanamalai.
    Go for it girl You are in the right track!
    Feel free to contact me. sashabloem@gmail.com
    skype, facebook: sashabloem
    My mayors are Sound Engineer, Theatre Technician, technical advisor for multidisciplinary events, flute, percussion, Dj and Vj Ethnic-Fussion-meltingpot.

    ReplyDelete